Friday 12 April 2013

Prove It

I opened my eyes.  Instead of darkness everything was white and fuzzy. I remembered I was in a hospital. There had been an accident.
I had snapshots of memories. My mom was with me. People coming in to see me. I remembered giving a thumbs up to people not allowed in the room.
As the blurriness cleared I saw strangers were milling about not paying me much attention. This place looked different. The people looked different.
Two of the people started talking. What were they saying. Why couldn't I understand? One of these strangers walked over to me, stuck a needle into my arm.
Instantly everything changed. There was a frenzy as the strangers rushed around the room. At first I couldn't see what they were doing, then I realized the couple were moving the walls. Changing the layout of the room. What was going on?
Suddenly it became clear.
This was not a hospital. These people were not helping me. Everything was pretend. The IVs in my arm weren't hooked up to anything. The tubes all stuck in different parts of my body were fake.  It was all for show. Why would they do this to me? The realization smacked me in the face. These people had tricked us. They pretended to be a hospital so my mom would pay them to take care of me!!
Just then My mom walked in.
I told her what I had discovered.
"This isnt a real hospital, mom!" I shouted.
"Yes, honey, you are in James' Hospital"
"Prove it," I told her. "Prove it. Show me a piece of paper with James' letterhead on it, show me something that says that this is James' Hospital!"
My mom held up a clipboard, "The papers on here say 'St. James' Hospital, sweetheart"
Then, everything slowly faded into darkness; the complete blackness that I knew lead to unspeakable horror. At least I was breathing this time as I let the darkness take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment